Last week I
played an ITF tournament in Gjövik, Norway. I lost the quarterfinal in single
and first round in double.

I went there with
my mother. I usually don’t travel with one of my parents, but it was actually
quite fun. She washed my clothes, cooked food, and we had some deadly card
games (if I won ;).

It was not entirely necessary for her to go with me, but she wanted to,
and we made the trip into a kind of mother-son vacation.

Gjövik is the
slipperiest city I have ever been in. There was ice everywhere. They spread
some clay/stone on the ice, but it was still very slippery.

It was a cosy town. They had ski hills where some of the other guys
from the tournament went sledging. I decided that I would wait until the
tournament finished. I wouldn’t risk getting injured.

I was very
nervous when I played single. I had played poorly and lost the first round in
the last two tournaments, and I was afraid that that was going to happen again.
Because I was seeded 3, I felt like I had to win this match. I was ranked 370
and he was 1000. But as I had experienced during the last two tournaments, that
mind-set does nothing but damage to my game.

I played against Marcus Sulen, and I barely won in three sets, 4/6 –
6/2 – 6/3.

I played the last match. The previous matched on my court had taken a
long time, so I started at 20.45. I had prepared for a late match by sleeping a
lot during the morning and afternoon. My mother and I went to look around in
Gjövik so watching tennis all day wouldn’t tire me.

I was going to
play the second round against David Nordfelt, who beat me last time we played.
I talked with Jonas (my coach) about my fear of losing, when I am ranked higher
than my opponent. He told me not to think about the ranking, to trust my game
and focus on what I can control. I did that, and I played great! I won 6/7 (5)
– 6/4 – 6/2.

I played the
third match against Daniel Izadifar from Norway. He was leading 5/3 in the
first set, when I twisted my ankle. After that, I couldn’t run, but I played
anyway. I knew that I would lose long rallies, so I went for a winner as soon
as possible. It looked like he didn’t know how to handle playing against an
injured, because he suddenly missed a lot more. I won the second.

I didn’t have a chance in the third. He played much better. He won the
match 6/3 2/6 6/0. My ankle is ok now, but I had to withdraw from a tournament
in Oslo.

I played double
with Salvador Bandeira from Portugal. We lost first round to Patrick
Kristiansen from Denmark and Carl-Johan Prioset from Sweden. Neither Salvador
nor I volleyed well during the match. I missed so many shots at the net, and
Salvador couldn’t hit a winner when he had the chance. We were solid from the
baseline, but that was not enough to win this match.